On September 4, 1951, Pastor Home Berner and his family arrived in Boise and began to work on establishing a congregation in the “Bench area” of Boise. Redeemer Lutheran had its first worship service on November 24, 1951 in the upstairs of the Hideaway Bar though its name was not officially chosen until March of the following year, when the current church property was purchased.
Redeemer has had a strong history of ministry to the youth and children. Sunday school, confirmation and a children’s choir were among the first ministries formed. In addition, Redeemer’s connection to Luther Heights (ELCA camp near Stanley, ID) is nearly as old as the church itself. While there is no longer a children’s choir, Redeemer continues to strive to create a deep and lasting faith among our children and youth.
Ministering outside our own walls has also been a high priority throughout the years. Within in its first five years, Redeemer started a preaching station in Mountain Home and organized the forming of Grace Lutheran Church, Horseshoe Bend, ID. In addition to planting churches Redeemer has at one time or another supported a non-tuition Kindergarten program, a low-income day-care center, distribution of food, and currently gives away over 400 rolls of toilet paper, 100 bottles of laundry detergent and 350 diapers each month through it Wash, Wipe and Wrap program.
Throughout all its history, Redeemer has placed a significant importance on building relationships with God, one another and the world around. To that end, there have been a number of small groups, Bible studies, service groups developed throughout the congregation’s history, ebbing and flowing with the current needs and wants of the people. In addition, it is not uncommon to hear of groups of people gathering informally outside of church to further their relationships.